Wednesday 11 September 2013

Bleeding all over the shop

The rear brake on my Boardman was playing up, so I ordered a cheap bleed kit from a company I'd never heard of called Cyclonix. It was about a tenner, compared to £40 SRP for the official Avid kit or £20 a brake to have them bled/adjusted by Evans (having decided to try myself, I didn't check my other local shops).




The procedure seemed pretty straightforward (the kit comes with a step-by-step guide), but you have to be really careful to increase the pressure on the fluid slowly and gently or risk pulling air in around the seals of the syringes. Also, having no spacers or old pads to wedge the calliper open I used some folded card. Always take your wheel and pads out before you start!

Goodness knows what's in that brake fluid but you aren't supposed to get it on anything.

I'm still waiting for the tandem length derailleur cable to replace the existing rear cable on the Nazca; ordered as my local shops didn't have one in the correct length. Hurry up Wiggle!

No comments:

Post a Comment