Tuesday 27 August 2013

Trying new shoes and SPDs

I've used a combination of SPD and Crank Bros. cleats for a while now, both in a beaten old pair of Specialized Tahoe shoes.

I get a bit of toe cramp/pain when riding the recumbent so I looked around for some advice. Can't remember exactly where I got it, but I read that you should go with light, stiff shoes with adjustable straps when riding recumbent. Sticking with the same brand I plumped for a pair of Specialized Sport MTB shoes as they were stiff, light, had tread (need to put your foot down when you stop) and three straps across the instep, arch and toes as well as a generous toe box. Also, they were on sale :)

I decided to ditch the Crank Bros. in the end. I like the way they clip in and out and have greater (sprung) float than SPD, but the cleats wear out too quickly and the pedals don't have spanner grooves making them a pain to remove; so when I bent one of the arms on my eggbeaters that was the end!

Spending a while in the turbo trainer helped me make small adjustments and test them consistently and safely with no distractions. Having the straps loose at the top and bottom but tight in the middle (after warming up to let the feet expand) worked well. No pain in the right foot but a little in the left after about an hour.

The next upgrade might be a pair of Speedplay Frog pedals as they have a wide (20 degree) free float unlike SPD (5 degree) and are reputed to be the pedal of choice for recumbents.

No comments:

Post a Comment