Tuesday 27 August 2013

Bad junction

The last part of my short commute to work involves my stopping at a set of lights and walking my bike along a short pavement to the office. This involves crossing a badly designed road that splits off of Canal Street via a curved junction. This encourages drivers to tear down Canal Street and take the corner at speed, unaware that there is a pedestrian crossing a few metres down the road.

Today someone was driving a large blue people-carrier down Canal Street as I was about to cross. I looked and saw that he wasn't indicating so I stepped out. He turned at speed, deciding to indicate after the fact. I was already in the road by this point so he braked, then stared at me while I finished crossing, then screeched past me beeping his horn.

That junction is badly designed. It should be at a right angle to force motorists to slow down before they take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment