Sunday 6 October 2013

Longer Christmas Prep Ride: Return of the Recumbent - with added turn-by-turn

After a week of shame, I returned to Lincolnshire to fetch my bike:


I tried a different route enabled by the BikeHub app on my phone which does route planning and offers turn-by-turn navigation. This had mixed results. Most of the time it really helped navigating little villages and unnamed links on a route with far too many turns to memorise (well, for me).


The audio prompts were a bit too quiet though and the app doesn't support the phone's music player so it doesn't do that neat trick from MotionX where it quiets the music while the voice is playing. Also, it directed me down an unnamed track that, were it on a red MTB trail would have qualified as a rock garden. It also sent me down a lane with a locked gate halfway. These aren't problems with the app per-se, but issues with the OpenCyclemap data that it uses. I should set up an account and try and make these corrections myself!

It also drained my battery. It finished about 20% lower for the same runtime as last week (I was also running the above Strava capture and playing music).

My own performance was poor again, not improved from the week before. Last week I was heading east into an easterly wind and this week I had the opposite, west into a westerly.

What I'd love would be to leave my phone in the rack pack and use something like the Hammerhead for navigation. If their hardware and app get off the ground, I'll be really keen to try it out as I want the ability to plan and create my own tracks. I'll back it as well, if they reply to my question about shipping it to the UK.

I experienced a lot of discomfort in my left knee this time, but almost none in my right hip. Maybe it's time to see the doctor for a referral!

No comments:

Post a Comment