Friday 27 December 2013

Progress report

Since I started out on Xmas eve I've managed at least 30km a day. Not much in the grand scheme of things, but given my state of fitness and the load, it's been pretty tiring!

Today was bad, as there are high winds across Lincolnshire (up to 47km/h according to the BBC). My direction of travel meant that it was alternately a cross wind and a head wind. The head wind slowed me down to around 13km/h but the cross winds were worse.

About halfway along my route the terrain changes from the rolling small hills of the south end of the Wolds with hedges and trees along the roads to the fens. The fens are practically obstruction-free (there's the odd tree or house) so the wind was at full strength when it met the road.

Once I'd been blown clear off the road once, I decided against going the remaining 15km!

I think this might be it for my ride this year as tomorrow is looking windy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment